he small and highly desirable 30-hour longcase Clock illustrated here is a very rare and exceptionally early London example which dates from around c1672. This architectual ebonised longcase has stood untouched in a private collection for almost 60 years and is shown here in its unrestored condition.
he 9.75 inch square brass dial with small winged cherub head spandrels to the four corners has a narrow chapter of 1.25 inches wide. It has a matchstick flower design for half -hour markers plus there are minute markings on the outside edge of the ring. The busy dial centre is beautifully engraved with tulip flowers and is signed within a lambrequin above the number VI. The dial engraving is of the highest London quality of the day. The high quality plated movement has four large ringed and knopped pillars. It survives in a very original condition including retaining all of its original wheel work, anchor escapement, wooden pulley and lead counter weight. The superb architectual ebonised case with hood side windows has front and side panels. It is of wonderfully small proportions standing only 6feet, 6" high with a 10 inch wiide trunk.
rivate Ownership of John Carlton-Smith between 1960-2017
John Carlton-Smith purchased this Charles Rogers ebonised longcase clock in 1960 for his own private collection. The then owner (in 1960) had been a founding member of the AHS back in 1953 and was a highly respected and serious collector. John then kept the longcase clock untouched in his collection for almost 58 years, until December 2017 - when John sold the clock to me!
About John Carlton-Smith
John Carlton-Smith has been dealing in antique clocks since 1972 including examples from the most renowned English clockmakers such as Thomas Tompion, George Graham, Joseph & John Knibb and Daniel Quare. The originality of the movements and wonderfully patinated untouched cases are hallmarks of John Carlton-Smith. John’s long experience and discerning eye mean that he has served on the clock vetting committee of some of the most important antique fairs, including the former Grosvenor House Antiques Fair, Masterpiece London and the BADA Fair.
the Clockmakers Company when he was Bound to William Almond on 6th November 1649 through Ralph Almond until he was Freed on 14th December 1657. In 1662 he was working in Blackfriers and later at Guilhall and Charing Cross. He took as apprentices: September 1661 Benjamin Heath; July 1662 Henry Atlee, March 1665 Charles Templer; March 1672 John Frethy; his son, Charles Rogers (II), passed over March 1678 from William Cowper but he was never Freed. Charles Rogers I worked until at least 1704 and died in 1709
n the 17th February 1665 (the same year as the Great Plague), Charles Rogers along with 33 other persons was put on trial for attending an illegal Religious Meeting. He was found Guilty and sentenced for transportation to Jamaica for 7 years. However the evidence suggests that he managed to purchase his freedom and took Charles Templer as an apprentice just one month after his trial in March 1665. Templer was Freed in March 1672.
igned within a lambrequin Charles Rogers at Guild Hall (London)
Guild Hall, London
Please Contact Lee Borrett
howing the small winged cherub head spandrels and
matchstick flower design for half -hour markers.
harles Rogers at Guildhall,
30-hour longcase clock
harles Rogers was born about 1635. He was apprentice through
The Triial of Charles Rogers
The Clocks Provenance
howing the beautifully engraved dial centre with tulip flowers.
17th century illustration of a Religious Meeting.
n historically important fact is that Charles Rogers trial took place in London during the early days of the Great Plague. The Plague, lasted from 1665–1666 and was the last major epidemic of the bubonic plague to occur in England. The Great Plague killed an estimated 100,000 people-almost a quarter of London's population in 18 months.The plague was caused by the Yersinia pestis bacterium, which is usually transmitted through the bite of an infected rat flea. A plague doctor was used during this time to help identify victims.
he plague doctor mask had glass openings in the eyes and a curved beak shaped like that of a bird with straps that held the beak in front of the doctor's nose. The mask had two small nose holes and was a type of respirator which contained aromatic items. The beak could hold dried flowers (including roses and carnations), herbs (including mint), spices, camphor, or a vinegar sponge. The purpose of the mask was to keep away bad smells, known as miasma, which were thought to be the principal cause of the disease, before it was disproved by germ theory. Doctors believed the herbs would counter the "evil" smells of the plague and prevent them from becoming infected. The beak doctor costume worn by plague doctors had a wide- brimmed leather hat to indicate their profession. They used wooden canes in order to point out areas needing attention and to examine patients without touching them. The canes were also used to keep people away, to remove clothing from plague victims without having to touch them, and to take a patient's pulse
The Great Plague of 1665
An Important, Related Historical Event
Angels Head or Angels and Devils Head
Early Lantern Clock with an
Charles Rogers Lantern Clock
Civil War Period Lantern Clock